Carrying Concealed Weapons

The following information that you must be aware of if you are granted a Concealed Handgun License:

You must carry the Concealed handgun license on your person whenever you carry a concealed handgun. Failure to do so could result in a charge of Unlawful Possession of a Firearm, a Class A Misdemeanor.

The following are places you cannot carry a firearm:

  • Airport Property
    • Certain areas of airports and airplanes.
  • Any Federal Facility
    • Federal facility means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government where federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing the official duties (i.e. Federal Court House, Post Office, Social Security Office). This does not prohibit the carrying of firearms on federal lands, other than designated areas, incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
  • Indian Reservation and Indian Property
    • You must have written permission of the tribal judge. This also applies to certain casinos that are on Indian lands.
  • Any Court Facility
    • A court facility is defined as follows: a county courthouse or that portion of any other building occupied by a court or occupied by personnel related to court operations, or in which activities related to court operations take place.
  • Any Private Business or Private Facility
    • Where a condition of being on the premises or in the facility is that you not possess a firearm.

Possessing a loaded or unloaded weapon in these areas could result in a Class C felony arrest.

If you are arrested/cited for any misdemeanor or felony or issued an order for stalking or a restraining order, your concealed handgun license will be seized and returned to the sheriff, pending adjudication of the charge.

If you move you must change your address with the DMV and also change your address with the Sheriff's Office in the county to which you have moved. This includes moving within the same county. The fee to change your address is $15.